Good relationships are extremely important for our well-being. Building a better relationship with your son/daughter and encouraging them to have strong friendships can help them feel secure and improve their self-esteem.
Stress among families can arise for many reasons, including:
- Expectations – many young people feel they’re not meeting the expectations of family. Educational or work performance and choices can be a source of tension.
- Differing opinions and values – adolescence is a time when people begin to form or change core opinions and values and can result in conflict.
- Independence – many young people encounter difficulty establishing independence. They may feel their family are uncompromising or treat them like a child.
- Family changes – things such as separation or divorce of parents, new babies coming along or siblings leaving can all be difficult adjustments.
- Health problems – illness within a family can put additional strain on relationships.
- Financial problems – stress related to job insecurity, redundancy and debt are one of the biggest sources of stress within a family.
Have a look our sections on communication, independence and boundaries for information on managing family relationships.
Leave a comment