If you think someone is experiencing bi-polar

Many people with bipolar disorder are creative and intelligent, and with proper management of their condition, they lead full and productive lives.

If you’re concerned your son or daughter may be experiencing bipolar disorder, here are some suggested steps to take.

Talk to them

Let them know you are concerned and mention the reasons for your concern; “Lately I’ve noticed you haven’t been yourself, how have you been feeling?”

If your son or daughter is willing to talk about how they have been feeling, listen carefully and respectfully.

Acknowledge their feelings

Don’t dismiss or ignore them. If they don’t want to talk, or deny that there is a problem, state your concern again and let them know that you are there to support them and want to help.

Keep calm

Young people pick up on their parent’s emotions and if you are feeling stressed or anxious, it may increase their stress levels.

Mind yourself

Make sure to look after yourself and speak with trusted friends and family about how you are feeling.

Consider professional advice

Your GP is generally the best person to talk to. If your son or daughter agrees, bring them to speak with their local doctor. Help them to discuss how they have been feeling with the doctor.

If your son or daughter refuses to seek help, make an appointment for yourself with your local doctor and seek advice and information.

Print this pagePrint this page

Leave a comment

Your email will not be published and you can comment as a guest without having to login.

All comments are reviewed before they go live. Read our commenting and moderation policy

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Sign up for our newsletter