Diagnosis and treatment for bipolar

Your son or daughter’s GP is generally the best place to start when seeking help for bipolar disorder.

If your son or daughter agrees, bring them to speak with their GP and help them to discuss how they have been feeling.

If your son or daughter refuses to seek help, make an appointment for yourself with your local doctor and seek advice and information.

The GP and medication

Most young people are referred by their GP to their local mental health service for diagnosis and treatment. Medical treatment is only part of the treatment package.

Medication such as mood stabilisers, anti-psychotics and antidepressants may be used as part of the treatment package in the management of bipolar disorder.

Other help

Support groups such as those offered by Aware (a depression support group) and Shine (an organisation for people with enduring mental illness) can be really helpful and provide opportunities to talk with people going through similar experiences.

Establishing regular eating and sleeping patterns can help in the management of bipolar disorder. Taking time out for relaxation is also really important.

Family support

Support from family is essential in managing bipolar disorder. Letting the young person know that you are there for them if they ever want to talk can be really helpful and reassuring for them.

It can be difficult for young people to keep track of mood changes and family and friends can help by watching out for any changes and talking to the young person about them.

Read more


Print this pagePrint this page

Leave a comment

Your email will not be published and you can comment as a guest without having to login.

All comments are reviewed before they go live. Read our commenting and moderation policy

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Sign up for our newsletter