Open 24 hours a day
Samaritans Ireland provides confidential and non-judgemental emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including feelings that could lead to suicide.
Their services are always open, so there will always be someone to talk to.
Common reasons to call Samaritans are:
- relationship and family problems
- loss, including loss of a job, a friend or a family member through bereavement
- financial worries
- job-related stress or overwork
- college or study related issues
- body image issues
How can I contact Samaritans?
- Samaritans has a 24 hour service by telephone, email, letter and face-to-face in most of their branches.
- You can phone for free on 116 123. If the line is busy, keep trying, someone will take your call as quickly as possible.
- You can also email: email@example.com
- You can write a letter to your local branch in Ireland. You can find their address on their website.
- You can drop into your local branch in Ireland and speak to someone directly. Find out where your local branch is on the Samaritans Ireland website.
“There’s very few places you can go to in the world where you can pick up a telephone and another human being, no matter why they’re doing it, will listen to you unconditionally. If you want to pour out in a phonecall, they will listen for hours, for as long as you need them to.”
Samaritans Ireland is confidential and you don’t have to give your name.
However, if you need their help to stay safe in a crisis, they will work with you to get help. They will also work with you to sort things out.