Helping you get through tough times

Drugs and alcohol counselling

If you’re having a problem with drugs or alcohol and need some help, there are centres and services around the country there to support you.

Feet and legs in chairsThey can provide information on drugs and alcohol, and counselling in a confidential setting with someone who has experience helping people deal with these issues.

Getting help is really a brave and positive thing to do.

Where to go for drugs and alcohol counselling

Addiction counsellors are generally accessible within community mental health teams, but you will usually need to be referred by a GP or another member of the mental health team.

Contact the Health Service Executive to locate the service in your area, or go to for information, counselling and live support through an online chat and information service. You can also freephone their helpline on 1800 459 459.

For more information on people to talk to, check out the rest of face-to-face help.

If you need to talk to someone now, phone Samaritans for free on 116 123 or email

This article was last reviewed on 03 May 2017

What can I do now?

Follow us on Facebook