What is ReachOut.com?
ReachOut.com is an online youth mental health service. Quite simply, it helps young people through tough times and was, in fact, the first of its kind in the world.
Originally the Inspire Foundation, ReachOut.com was developed in Australia in 1996.
Focussing on people aged 12 to 25 years-old, the Inspire Foundation understood the importance technology was beginning to play in people’s lives.
With the escalating rates of youth suicides at the time in Australia, it was only logical there’d be an increased need for online mental health supports and information. The next step was to create ReachOut.com, a service driven and supported by young people.
ReachOut.com in Ireland
ReachOut.com Ireland was launched in 2009 after feasibility studies by McKinsey and Company established a need for the service.
Ireland had high levels of technology usage and availability. Its ongoing challenges with mental health problems and suicide rates, particularly among people aged 12 to 25 years-old, was also understood.
This meant ReachOut.com fitted Ireland’s existing services perfectly.
What do we do?
Reflecting the need for reliable information on anything which could affect someone’s mental health, ReachOut.com supports those going through a tough time.
Emphasis is placed on peer support and the principle that we all know someone going through a tough time. We engage in a space natural to most of us now – online.
How do we do this?
- Quality assured mental health information
- Real-life stories by young people sharing their experience
- Our team of moderators engaging with, advising and supporting people seeking help
- Experts offering advice and answering questions on their topic
- Our free WorkOut app, offering easily used tools based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Blogs exploring relevant topics; celebrity stories with mental health connections, seasonal issues, mental health events etc.
- Initiating and engaging in research with other organisations, supported by our annual Technology for Wellbeing Conference
- ReachOut 101, online training for promoting mental-health and steering anyone wishing to be more engaged.
Who’s involved with ReachOut.com?
Day-to-day the ReachOut.com team work with a community of young people, sector partners, professionals, families, donors, teachers and supporters who care deeply for young people and their wellbeing.
Our Board of Directors guides the overall operation, steering us forward, helping us meet our expected goals. Made up of highly successful individuals in their respective fields, the Board has a good mix from the mental-health sector, technology, corporate governance and those with an involvement in the wellbeing of young people.
How are we funded?
ReachOut.com is a not-for-profit, non government registered charity. The generous fundraising by our extended community and people we don’t even know (but, are simply interested in the welfare of young people) goes a long way to enabling us to run a successful service.
Get in touch and maybe involved!
We love to hear from people, whether you have a query, need support or want to offer support and get involved in any way. Email email@example.com or visit contact us for full contact details.
ReachOut Ireland CHY: 468720